Manufacturing companies have been the bedrock of Minnesota’s economy, but despite offering the second-highest wages in the state, manufacturers are losing out on talent to other industries like healthcare and high tech
Despite offering the second-highest wages in Minnesota, manufacturers are losing young talent to other burgeoning industries like healthcare and high tech. And, as fewer high school and college grads pursue careers in manufacturing, the state’s largest private-sector industry is struggling to recruit and retain the talent it needs for the digital future.
We polled 1,000 workers age 18 to 40 in Minnesota about whether they would consider a career in manufacturing, why, and what manufacturers can do to better attract them. Here’s what they said.
With manufacturing playing such a large role in the local job market, Minnesotans recognize the industry’s impact on the state’s economy and the importance of keeping it healthy. Nearly all those surveyed (97%) said they understand the importance of growing the manufacturing industry and keeping manufacturing jobs in the state.
They also have a more positive than negative perception of manufacturing careers, with the positive raters (70%) citing competitive compensation and rewarding/fulfilling work as the top two reasons. However, the other 30% said they feared manufacturing isn’t a place they could have a long-term career and cited work culture as another top reason for their negative rating.
The main challenge for employers to address, however, is that 44% said they would not consider a career in manufacturing. Respondents pointed to the following ways employers could make the industry a more attractive place to work:
Education and awareness drive positive perceptions and consideration of manufacturing employment. Minnesotans who were exposed to the industry at an early age — whether at school or through a family member— are more likely to pursue a manufacturing career for themselves. While 56% of those surveyed said they would consider working in the manufacturing industry, that number rises to 62% for those who have immediate family members employed in the industry and 65% for those who learned about manufacturing careers in their youth.
When those who haven’t worked in the industry were asked why they chose other careers, one-third said the idea of working in the industry had never crossed their mind, and 31% said it was because they didn’t have the right education, training or skills. Only 43% of respondents learned about manufacturing job opportunities before turning 18.
Encouragingly, young professionals in Minnesota view manufacturing as a tech-forward industry. Three in four respondents said the industry will fully leverage technology over the next decade, and nearly half — 48% — believe manufacturing will create new job opportunities in areas like technology, engineering and customer service. This is a huge area of opportunity for firms to tout the variety of career tracks in the industry.
But while Minnesotans associate the manufacturing sector with smart technology, they don’t completely understand how the industry uses technology and what it will mean for job security: 42% need employers to prove job security in the face of AI advances.
The industry has an opportunity to leverage its positive perception and tech-forward reputation to attract a new generation of talent.
Manufacturing firms, and not just those in Minnesota, are already feeling the pain of the constrained job market. With unemployment at historical lows and the draw of urban-based jobs in sleek office spaces, the ability to attract and retain tech talent while also building the next generation of tech-savvy skilled workers grows more difficult. But the data above gives us some direction to address the challenge:
The manufacturing industry has an opportunity take control of the narrative and provide transparency about how and why it uses technology, as well as the new careers that will emerge. By communicating what the future looks like for the up-and-coming workforce, Minnesota manufacturing firms can better position the industry to attract and retain a new generation of talent.
How Generative AI is empowering manufacturers and revolutionizing data monetization
The innovation landscape is rapidly changing—and increasingly distributed