Thank you for your interest in the West Monroe Fire Department. We are pleased that you are considering employment with us. Because of the critical nature of the fire service, it is important that we hire only those who are able to handle the physical, mental, and psychological rigors associated with this historic profession. The Civil Service application is the first step in the hiring process. We hope that it is the first step in a long career with our department.
The hiring process is usually done once annually and your Civil Service Test score will be active for 18 months. You will be notified by mail of when the hiring process is beginning. Please, be sure to update your application if you have a change of address after your application has been submitted. If you have recently taken a Civil Service Test with another fire department, you may attach your current Civil Service Score to your Civil Service Application. Turn completed applications into the Secretary of the Fire Chief at 4341 Cypress Street. We congratulate you on your choice of fire service as a career and wish you the best of luck as you proceed through the process.
Application / Hiring Process
The first step of employment with the West Monroe Fire Department is submitting your application. Once an application is submitted, you will be placed on an eligibility list. When we begin to hire, a civil service test will be requested, and all applicants on the eligibility list will be notified of the upcoming test. Applicants may choose to test at a different location and have their scores transferred to the West Monroe Fire Department. Once the civil service test is completed, qualified candidates will be notified of the physical agility test. This test consists of the following:
Station 1(a) – High rise Pack Carry:
- Requires candidate to climb 4 flights of stairs with a shoulder-held pack of approximately 30 lbs.
Station 1(b) – Hose Hoist:
- Using a rope, candidates must pull a fire hose up 4 flights to the top platform. The coiled fire hose weighs approximately 30 lbs.
Station 1(c) – High Rise Pack Carry:
- Candidates must go back down the 4 flights of stairs with the shoulder-held pack.
Station 2 – Forcible Entry:
- Using an 8 lb. mallet, candidates must strike a beam until it reaches a specified distance.
Station 3 – Hose Advance:
- Candidates must pick up the nozzle end of a charged hose line and advance it 75 feet.
Station 4 – Victim Rescue:
- Candidates must drag a 175 lb. dummy backwards 75 feet.
Additional test information:
Candidates will perform the test wearing a 45 lb. weighed vest, helmet, and gloves. Once the test has begun, candidates must complete all stations without stopping. The test must be completed in 5 minutes.
If a candidate passes the physical agility test, they will then be scheduled for a panel interview with various ranking members from the department. This panel will make recommendations to the Fire Chief. The Fire Chief will then conduct interviews and offer conditional employment to qualified candidates.
The conditional employment is contingent on the successful completion of the following:
- Voice stress analysis, Psychological evaluation, Medical screen, Drug screen, Background check.
*To check availability for Civil Service testing dates, go to www.ose.louisiana.gov
Thank you for your interest of employment with the West Monroe Fire Department. In an effort to assist you and the department, please follow these instructions when completing your application.
- Please type or fill out the application in ink and in your best handwriting.
- Answer every question that applies to you. When you are asked for an address, be sure to supply the complete mailing address including the zip code.
- Sign and date the application.
- You must provide photo copies of the following documents with your application in order for it to be considered. West Monroe Fire Department personnel will not make photo copies for you.
- Birth certificate
- High school diploma or equivalent
- DD 214 if prior service military
- Driver’s license
- Social Security Card
- Any other documents or certifications
- If you have a current application on file, it shall be the applicant’s responsibility to notify the West Monroe Fire Department of any change in address or telephone number.